Former Foster Youth Speakers Panel
The Beyond Foster Care Speakers Panel is a group of former foster youth who want to share their insight about their experience in the foster care system through stories of perseverance and overcoming adversity.
What We Do
We seek to educate our local communities on issues which take place after emancipating from the foster care system through panel discussions, civic engagements, and public speaking events.
Who We Are
We are a panel of former foster youth advocates who seek to raise awareness through personal testimony on our experiences in and out of foster care.
Why We Do It
We speak out about our personal experiences to empower individuals to take action on the issues that impact former foster youth.
Past Speaking Events
- UCLA – Calswec Program/ Institute on Inequality and Democracy/ BGS
- East Los Angeles College – NAMI Club (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
- Cal State Long Beach – CalSWEC Program
- The Children’s Partnership & Robert F. Kennedy National Resource Center for Juvenile Justice – Developing a Trauma-Informed Roadmap to Prevent Juvenile Justice Involvement of Child Welfare Youth: A Moral and Fiscal Imperative.
- Glendale Community College – Guardian Scholars Resource Presentation
- USC – School of Social Work/ Children’s Hospital/ Children, Youth, and Families Dept/ Office for the Protection of Research Subject
- Azusa Pacific University – Intro to Social Work
- CSU Los Angeles
- Hollenbeck Police Department – MSW Interns
- Sierra Madre – Women’s Club
- LA Trade Tech – Black, Brown, and Powerful: Freedom Dreams in Unequal Cities
- Azusa Pacific University MSW Students
- USC – School of Social Work
- South Pasadena Rotary Club
- Azusa Pacific University – Criminal Justice Dept.
- Azusa Pacific University – Sociology Dept.
- Cal State Long Beach
- Cal State LA
- Alliance of Boys and Men of Color
- USC School of Social Work
- CSULA Juvenille Justice and Social Work Undergrads
- Inter-Agency Council on Child Abuse and Neglect
- Centinela Youth Services Annual Dinner – Hawthorne (Jesse Keynote Speaker)
- LA County Probation Department College Summit (Jesse Keynote Speaker)
- CSUN School of Social Work “From Our Perspectives” Research Forum
- Sierra Madre Women’s Club (Lucero Keynote Speaker)
- Westminster Garden Retirement Community – Duarte (Gabby Keynote Speaker)
- Cal-Youth Study Open Forum (Jesse Speaker)
- USC School of Social Work (TAY) (5 Journey House Participants)
- UCLA School of Psychology Conference (Jesse Keynote Speaker)
- Pasadena Chamber of Commerce Annual Summit (Gabby Keynote Speaker)
- CSUF School of Psychology (5 Journey House Participants)
Speakers Panel Forum Topics
- Aging-Out: Life Beyond Foster Care
- Housing: Stability and Permanency
- Incarceration: The Foster Care to Prison Pipeline
- Education: Accessibility and Affordability
- Families: Reunification, Health Relationships, and Support
- Employment: Finding, Obtaining, and Maintaining
- Social: Personal Development, Communication, and Confidence
- Trauma: Healing from Emotional, Verbal, and Physical Abuse
- Social Issues: Cycle of Poverty, Drug Use, and Victimization
- Transportation: Vehicle Ownership, Commuting, and Affordability
- Systemic Accountability: ILP, Social/Case Workers, and DCFS
- Parenthood: Teen Pregnancy, Unplanned Pregnancy, and Transition Support
- Financial: Budgets, Debt, Credit and Responsibility
- Legal: Adoption, Kinship, Immigration, Criminal, and Probation
- Holistic Health: Mental, Physical, and Emotional
For information regarding the Beyond Foster Care Speakers Panel, speaking availability, or for hardcopy information, please contact us: